BY LAWS OF THE SAUDI ANAESTHETIC SOCIETY ( S.A.S)
- NAME OF THE SOCIETY AND ITS LOCATION :
The Saudi Anaesthetic Society is based in the King Saud University in the City of Riyadh and shall have branches in other universities, region or equivalent institutions.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE SOCIETY :
- To promote continuous education of its members through lectures, symposia, clinical meetings and its journal.
- To encourage progress in the speciality through development
- Promote cooperation and exchange of ideas between different institutions and disciplines in the Kingdom and abroad.
- To promote research for the benefit of the community and improve the level of performance, standard of care, patient`s safety and finally the code of conduct of consultant services.
- ACTIVITIES OF THE SOCIETY :
- Promotion of scientific research and exchange of ideas in its fields and related topics, and publish, distribute and exchange such results with relevant societies.
- Holding regular conferences, symposia and seminars in the different branches of the speciality throughout the Kingdom.
- Publish regular bullentins or periodicals to keep readers/members up to date regarding society programmes and progress of reseach activities.
- Organize scientific expeditions and to award prizes for meritorious work in open competition.
The Association shall pursue and will achieve its objectives mentioned in (2) through the following activities.
- MEMBERSHIP :
- Active Membership
To be given to who satisfy the conditions of membership mentioned in (5), and whoever holds university degree in three area of specialization of the society. An active member should be resident of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and must pay the regular fees.
- Associate Membership
Associate membership shall be offered to qualified persons who should like to join but do not reside in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Associate members will be non-voting members.
- Honorary Membership
Shall be offered to persons who have contributed financially or otherwise towards the development of the society within and outside the Kingdom. An honorary member shall be chosen by the general assembly of the society on the recommendation of the Board of directors. An honorary member is exempted from payment of registration and subcription fees. An honorary member may attend the general assembly sessions, and other committee meetings and take part in the discussions, but will not be eligible to vote, on decisions or in elections.
The Society shall have three categories of membership.
- CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES FOR MEMBERSHIP :
- Must be a person of good moral character, of no criminal records.
- Must pay all dues of the society.
- Must submit an application to join the society.
- May be recommended by two active members of the society.
- Application for active membership should be submitted to the board of directors. Membership is granted only after the approval of the board of directors.
A member of the society should fulfill the folowing conditions :
- EXPIRY OF MEMBERSHIP :
- Request of withdrawal of a member or on his death.
- When a member loses any one condition of the membership.
- When a member fails to pay the annual subcription fee and fail to do so for a whole year. Under such circumstances the member will be issued at least two written reminders and finally a warning about termination of membership for failure to comply within the last three months of the year concerned.
- In case of a member carrying out any activity which entails material or financial harm or of new ideas srepute to the society, the board of directors shall investigate the matter and the member will lose his membership rights only when proven responsible for the harm done.
A member shall be informed of the decision of the board of directors to terminate his membership within two weeks of the decision begin taken. The member concerned will not be entitled to a refund of registration or subcription fees, contribution or gifts.
- REGRANTING MEMBERSHIP :
Membership may be restored to a former member in accordance with the conditions mentioned in article 6 (C) based on decision of the board of directors after payment of overdue fees or subcription for a period of three years, whichever is less.
- THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS :
The board of directors which manages the affairs of the society will be composed of not more than nine members chosen by the general assembly in secret ballot and from among the active members of the association.
The board of directors shall draw up the general policy of the association and submit it to the general assembly for approval. The board of directors shall also ensure that the functions of the society are carried out and its objectives are realised.
Membership of the board of directors shall be for two years which will be renewable. The board of directors shall hold an ordinary session at least once every two months. An extraordinary session may be held when requested by half or more of the members or by one fifth of the general assembly or by the chairman of the general assembly to discuss specific urgent matters. ( Define a quorum: 1/3 of voting members).
No other matters should be discussed during such extraordinary sessions. Decisions of the board of directors are valid once approved by the majority of the attending members. When votes are equal, the side which the chairman supports recieves approval. Sessions are not valid unless attended by majority of the members.
A member who is absent for more than three sessions without an acceptable excuse will be considered as having forfeited his membership.
- DUTIES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS :
The board of directors shall issue rules and regulations necessary for the implementation of this statute. Other responsibilities of the board of directors shall include drawing the annual budget, preparation of annual activities, future plans and decide the membership dues.The board of directors shall submit the above activities for approval to the general assembly during the regular session.
- CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND HIS DEPUTY :
The general assembly shall elect by secret ballot a chairman of the board of directors from the active members of the association. The position shall be held for a period of two years which will be renewable. The chairman has the right to suggest or choose names for the different committees of the society.
The board of directors members shall choose, from amongst themselves, a deputy chairman, who will deputise for the chairman in his absence.
- GENERAL ASSEMBLY :
The general assembly shall comprise all active and eligible members who have paid or will pay their annual subcription fees. It will hold an ordinary session, at a fixed date once a year.
The agenda of the meeting shall be prepared by the board of directors and invitations issued by the chairman.
The general assembly may hold an extraordinary session at the request of the board of directors or one fifth of the members. Rules governing the ordinary session also apply to the extraordinary session meetings. The general assembly session meetings are valid only in the presence of the majority of its members.
- THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY HAS THE FOLOWING RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To issue bylaws and regulations for the organization of work in the association;
- To approve the annual budget of the association and the final financial statements every years;
- To approve the annual report of the association activities prepared by the board of directors;
- To elect the chairman and members of the board of directors;
- To approve the annual plan presented by the board of directors;
- To discuss the items on the agenda, and other maters that need to be studied by the members, within the sphere of the association activities and to take necessary actions;
- To choose an honorary chairman to the association upon the suggestion of the board of directors.
- HONORARY CHAIRMAN OF THE SOCIETY
The general assembly appoints the honorary chariman of the society upon the proposal of the board of directors. The honorary chairman is to be a known public figure whose interests are related to the activities of the society. The honorary chairman shall preside over meetings of the society that he attends.
- THE SOCIETY`S FINANCIAL RESOURCES AND BUDGET
- Registration and annual subscription of the members.
- Proceeds from the sale of the association`s publications and print-outs.
- Dues from workshops or training programmes held by
the association, and other institutions, and other institutions established to serve the purpose of the society.
- Gifts, grants, voluntary contributions, and other financial support given to the association by the government or the public or private institutions or individuals and which are accepted by the board of directors.
- The annual support fixed by the supervisory organ on scientific association at the universties.
The board of directors shall nominate from its members a treasurer who will keep the society accounts and prepare the budget. The budget will be reviewed by the board of directors and ultimately be submitted to the general assembly for approval.
The financial year of the society shall begin on the first of Rajab and end on the last day of Jumada Al Thani of the year after.
Rules governing the finances of public organizations in the kingdon will apply to the financial activities of the society.
An auditor shall be appointed to audit the society accounts at the end of each financial year. The Auditor`s report shall be submitted to the board of directors and the general assembly of the society.
The board of directors may review and amend the responsibilities of the Chairman, the Deputy Chairman, the Treasurer, and the Secretary when the need arises.
Deputy Chairman, the Treasurer, and the Secretary when the need arises.
The Society`s financial resources include :
- ADHOC REGULATIONS :
- In the absence or before formation of the various committee of the society, an ad hoc committee comprising three founding members one of whom shall act as chairman will run the affairs of the association.
- The ad hoc committee shall cease to exist immediately.The general assembly holds its first meeting, and a chairman and members of the board are selected. The chairman of the defunct adhoc committee shall submit to the general assembly at its first meeting, a detailed report of activities carried out by that committee.
- The society shall organize and keep in its offices all the
necessary files to ensure that the activities are performed in accordance with the regulations.
- The chairman of the society shall represent the association and in all official and unofficial contacts within and outside the kingdom.
- This statute can be modified or amended by decision of the general assembly.